Monday 13 April 2009

Merstham FC 0-0 Chipstead FC


Merstham F.C. 0 - 0 Chipstead F.C.
Ryman Divison One South
Monday 13th April 2009
Attendance: 154
Admission: £8 (programme: £2)

The main entrance tucked away behind the bar. I don't think you'll be able to contact the club seceratary on that number.


On a gloriously sunny Easter Bank Holiday Monday I was caught in four minds as to what game I took in. The choice was between Ryman One South top of the table clash involving Kingstonian and Cray Wanderers, a local derby pitting Sutton Utd versus Carshalton Athletic or Corinthian-Casuals versus Croydon Athletic. However, I decided to take in a ground I had yet to visit - Moatside… the home of Ryman Division One South outfit Merstham F.C.

The clubhouse and main stand side.

Merstham is a small town just outside of Redhill set in the rolling hills of Surrey’s North Downs. The local team, Merstham F.C. are a recent addition to the Ryman League having gained promotion from the Combined Counties league in 2008. A decent first season has seen the home side pushing for a playoff place, although a recent poor run has dashed any hopes.



Today's teams. Good photography by me to chop off the numbers of the home team. Doh.


Today’s opponents are Chipstead F.C. Struggling at the bottom of the table, Chipstead had two players sent off in a fracas with Met Police FC on Saturday, which, if the suspensions have come into effect, must hurt their chances.


Merstham (Yellow and Black) tussle with Chipstead (Red) for the upper hand.

I arrive just in time for kick-off, winding my way around the clubhouse which is situated outside of the ground and find the small but smart turnstiles. I pay £8 for entry plus £2 for a programme. Glossy and informative, it’s also full colour throughout. This didn’t leave me with any change from a tenner for a ‘Golden Goal’ ticket. Still, I never win anyway!



I head round the back of the main stand and grab my obligatory cheeseburger and can of Coke. I pay £2.30 for the burger and 80p for the drink. Unfortunately, the burger isn’t up to much and as I pour the ketchup on (I’m already anticipating that it’s going to taste rank, so I drown it in sauce), the cheese slice looks about as appetising as my socks. Oh well, I’m hungry.


The Picturesque Surrey Downs can be seen in the distance.


The ground itself is in pretty decent shape and the sunshine has brought out a sizeable crowd. The clubhouse and main stand line one side of the pitch with decent seating for a good number of supporters. There is also covered standing areas at both ends, but most choose to stand and lap up the sunshine.



A Rory Delap-style throw-in from Chipstead's Jamie Findlay.

The game gets off to a shaky start with neither team taking control. However, after twenty minutes or so, it’s the visitors who start to look the more threatening. The first real chance falling to Dominic O’Shea whose 20 yard effort clipped the top of the bar. Five minutes later, O’Shea should have made it 1-0 but fluffed a great chance from six yards after a mazy run from Baptise Bogle. Merstham’s only real effort of note was a speculative 25-yarder from Michael Morgan.




Half time comes and I dump my coat in the car (I had no idea why I thought I’d need a coat on a day like today), and returned to the ground where ‘Yummy, Yummy, Yummy’ by Ohio Express is blasting out over the tannoy, only to be followed by ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’ by Tight Fit. What is the DJ thinking!?




The second half is more of the same, where neither team takes any initiative. Even early substitutes for both sides cannot lift the game into anything cohesive. Merstham decide to sit back and defend and only allow Chip stead a couple of efforts from long range. In fact, the visitor’s best chance comes when Merstham full-back Jack Holmes almost lobs his own keeper in a defensive mix-up.


I could tell this was going to be nil-nil, from about five minutes into the half, and I wasn’t wrong. One little chap turning to his dad summed it up for me, “I’m borrreeed. I want to go home”.
I get home and check the results of the other games I could have seen. K’s effectively gain promotion by beating Cray 2-0, Casuals get thumped 5-0 and Sutton plays out to a score draw. Bugger.


Matchday Programme: £2

No comments:

Post a Comment